Thursday 11 April 2013

Food Journey to Vietnam

I have wanted to try Vietnamese Spring Rolls for some time now. I have some rice paper I have bought from our local eastern food store. Lovely store! Today I went to have an apple cider in the sun (restaurants are opening patios first time this year). I felt the spring so I was inspired to make these today. It was quite nice at the patio, only about +3C but sun was shining warmly, had one cider before the wind chased us away. :)

You can stuff these with the veggies you like, spicy or not, shrimp or chicken.


Vietnamese Spring Rolls

8 sheets of rice paper
180g shrimps (peeled)
1 red chili
2 small shallots
2-3 cloves of garlic (or 1 small one-clove garlic)
2 tablespoons grated ginger
1 small yellow bell pepper
any crispy green salad
1 carrot
1 small avocado
1½ tablespoons fish sauce (vietnamese/thai)
4 tablespoons lime juice
½ teaspoon coriander powder (you can also use fresh if you like)
Sweet chili sauce

Cut the onions and chili into thin strips. Grate the ginger. Mix onions, chili, ginger, fish sauce, lime juice and coriander. Add the shrimp and put in fridge to set.
Shred the salad, grate the carrot, cut the bell pepper and avocado into thin slices. Soften the rise paper sheets one by one in hot water. Put some of all the stuffings on the sheet and roll. Cut diagonally and serve with sweet chili sauce.




I made these to be quite spicy and hot and these were really good. :) I like the stickyness of the rice paper and the avocado cuts the heat a bit.

Drink: Rainbow Rasberry flavoured sparkling mineral water, my favourite

Ngon quá!

No comments:

Post a Comment